Monday, January 25, 2010

January's reading list

OK. It's January. It's grey outside. Winter's got a long way to go.

Here's what I've read to make myself feel better:

The Omnivore's Dilemma, by Michael Pollan. A fascinating exploration into what we eat and why we eat the way we do. Now I feel guilty about everything I put in my mouth, especially anything that had a face and came from a feedlot....

My Stroke of Insight, by Jill Bolte Taylor. A fascinating read about what it's like to have a massive stroke at the age of 37, and the eight years of recovery following. I'm walking around feeling as if my head is made of eggshells and might explode at any minute.









Still Alice, by Lisa Genova. A fascinating novel about a Harvard professor who comes down with early onset Alzheimers. I'm worrying about everything I'm forgetting.







And last but not least, The Road, by Cormac McCarthy. The granddaddy of depressive literature, but so beautifully written I couldn't put it down.



It's a wonder I can get up in the morning...

Actually, all of these books are a great read. I'm not finished Michael Pollan's book yet, but would recommend it, and all of the above.

Now what do you suggest I read next?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you don't do 'cheerful', do you?

    Whenever anyone asks me to recommend a book, I always tell them to run, not walk, to the bookstore/library and get a copy of Iain Banks's "The Crow Road". It's a dark and funny coming-of-age story of a Scottish university student trying to make sense of his strange family and solve the mystery of his uncle's disappearance. It's full of sex and whisky, and a recurring themes of sibling rivalry and religion vs. atheism. And it's almost impossible not to like a novel that begins with the sentence: "It was the day my grandmother exploded."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and Hawkins' Cheezies don't have faces, so enjoy!

    ReplyDelete