Thursday, August 27, 2009

Things I've discovered since moving to Ontario

1. Having four seasons is pretty civilized. I could still do with a two-month winter -- or no winter at all for that matter (I've always said snow is something you should be able to drive to), but having well-demarcated, predictable changes of season appeals to my sense of order in the universe.

2. Snapping turtles really do snap (don't ask -- what I did was dumb, but I didn't know that until after I did it).

3. The 401 is amazingly busy, but generally speaking isn't as scary as the rest of Canada thinks it is. I've been waaaay more scared on logging roads in B.C. than I have been on the 401 (so far).

4. It's no wonder Ontario picked the trillium as its provincial flower. My only question is: there are so many lovely flowers --- how did they ever choose?

5. Fireflies are MAGIC!

6. Any climate where grapes can be grown for wine is a good climate.

7. Mosquitoes and blackflies aren't the problem: sand flies (noseeums?) are the problem. Actually they're all awful.....

8. Although they like to think they're different, people are the much the same all over Canada: pretty decent.

I know there's more. I'll drop them into my posts as they come to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment